Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day One

October twenty-eighthDeparture Day.
Starting Point: Wahoo High School  Destination: Ft. Bliss El Paso, TX

Our morning started out in the Wahoo High School gym way too early in the morning for a farewell ceremony. There were 160 deploying soldiers PLUS their family and friends. It was packed. So many people there to show their support. Signs, t-shirts, and flags. Governor Heineman, Congressmen Fortenberry and Terry, Senator Johanns and a representative for Senator Nelson, plus other high ranking military personnel all spoke and shared their support for the troops. To be honest, I just wanted to take Chris by the hand, scoop up the girls and run for the hills. Would the 623rd really miss just one guy? Too bad Chris plays such an important role within the unit. They would notice in a heartbeat.

As part of the send off, the Patriot Guard Riders escorted the 3 buses of soldiers to the airport in Lincoln. What an amazing site to see! We were able to follow the convoy through Wahoo and into Lincoln. The men and women of the PGR's are an incredible group. As we walked into the high school, there they stood on both sides of the walkway holding large American flags. I had the privilege to tell each one I passed "thank you". Tears filled my eyes to see the gratitude and honor they had in their eyes for my husband and his fellow soldiers. They were strangers and yet they felt like close friends.

The hardest part of all came when all the speeches, the commendations and patriotic songs were done. Saying "see ya later" is never easy. I actually hope it never does get easier for me. Because if it did, I think it would mean that I cared less about Chris. Feeling that pain reminds me of how much I love him and how much I need him.

Now for the girls it's a whole other story.
Seeing their Daddy have to pick up his bags and walk away from them for such a long time is something I wish they never had to do. As their mom I want to protect them--only sunshine and lollipops for my girls. But I realize that what they are learning is far more rewarding than painful in the long run.
They get to see and feel first hand how strong love can be. They get to learn that we are never really all alone--God is always with us. He can fill those places in their hearts that hurt for Daddy to come home and replace it with comfort and peace.

I am thankful that God never tires of hearing my prayers and wiping my sad tears away. He says in Deuteronomy 31:7 "...for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you."  Ps. 62:2 says "... My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah~ THIS is beautiful and heartwrenching at the same time. Please dont ever feel like an inadequate writer! Thank you for your transparency & your heart for your God, hubby, and your girls~ I know this will be an amazing way for people to pray and support you, and probably take quite a bit away for themselves to learn! I know I have already! Love ya girl... hugs from the Bretz's <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for your family through this journey.... I can't even imagine how much you will miss Chris over the next year. Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,

    I am SO honored to have shared this journey of life with you for more than 12 years and to bear witness to the AMAZING growth that has taken place in your heart as you have learned the true art of trusting God no matter what the circumstance. God continues to draw you closer and closer to Himself, and Your faith blesses and inspires me often.

    You have done a tremendous job documenting the first day in this new chapter of your life, and I can only imagine how much this blog will encourage others. I'm sure it will also do wonders at helping you keep things in perspective as you look back through and are reminded of God's faithfulness as well.

    I am blessed to call you friend, and I continue to shed many tears as I lift you and your family up in prayer - there is an ache in my heart for you that I'm sure is only a fraction of the ache in yours....I love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete