Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm addicted to getting overly into the books I am reading.
I find myself thinking about the characters in the book like they are real people. For example, this morning during my prayer time (in the shower no less), I almost started to ask God to not let "Hadassah" die. She is a character from the book "A Voice in the Wind" by Francine Rivers. Hey, Stacy, can you say "Ironic"?
For many years, Stacy has been trying to convince me to read a Francine Rivers book. I flat-out refused. To be totally honest, I didn't think a Christian fiction writer could be anything but sappy, predictable and dare I say it, boring. Then another friend, Krista, started telling me how much she loved the book and how it impacted her. So now I had 2 good friends endorsing the same book. I decided I would give it a try. As much as I hate to admit it, I was wrong. This may be the only time that I am glad I was wrong.
I know I will not do a good job at reviewing this book for you so bare with me. Rivers does an amazing job at bringing a story to life. She describes sounds, smells, and atmosphere so vividly you feel like you are right there. I love the way she weaves God's Word into the story without forcing it. She doesn't add them to make the book more "Christian".
The book I'm reading now takes place about 70 years after the resurrection of Christ and during a war between the Jews and the Romans. Hadassah is a young Jewish girl taken as a slave to serve in a roman household. Her father had an amazing encounter with Jesus and taught his daughter the teachings from both Jesus and the Old Testament. She hid those words in her heart and reflects on them throughout the book.
There is so much more to this book then just Hadassah. None of it sappy, predictable or boring. You should read it. There's my book review. Now if you will excuse me, I have some friends to check in on.
No comments:
Post a Comment