Saturday, July 16, 2011

Two hundred and sixty-one



Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing grace

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures


[2x]
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing grace

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine

But God, Who called me here below
Will be forever mine
Will be forever mine

You are forever mine


This song was sung at my dad's memorial service. It speaks volumes of my dad's life.


Dad,
   A few weeks ago you asked me if I thought you would be going to heaven. We talked about your personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I assured you that based on your relationship heaven would be waiting for you. I think the real reason you asked me that was you knew your past and was wondering if God could really forgive you.
   I've been learning a lot about grace and mercy the past couple of months. While I don't know if I will ever grasp it completely, I do know that God loves to lavish His grace and mercy upon those who are repentant. Dad, I have seen your repentant spirit more in the last month then I have ever seen it in the past. And having the past reconciled not only freed you but it provided freedom for me, mom, Janis and Jeremiah.
   Just like I told you a few days before you passed, I really do believe your parents would be so proud of you and the way you made things right with us. Their prayers were answered.
   Dad, I wish I would have been better at verbilizing this before you went to heaven. As you know, having these kind of converations never came easy for us. I hope you heard me talking to you the day you died as I held your hand. I hope you heard me say how thankful I was to be able to be there with you, how much I appreciated all that you taught me and cared for me-even when I didn't always understand the way you showed it. I hoped you heard me tell you that I loved you and that I knew that you really love me. Did you hear me tell you that you fought such a long and hard fight and that it was ok to go ahead and let go and let God take you?
   I am so relieved for you. You are truly free. No more cancer. No more pain. I don't think cancer won this battle. I believe God saw that you were growing weary of the struggle and called the fight. He wanted you home so He could show you just how much He loved you.
   I love you Dad and I miss you. Please give Grandpa, Grandma and Uncle Larry great big hugs for me.

Love always,
Sammy
  
  












No comments:

Post a Comment