When is lasagna, chicken enchiladas, and chicken noodle soup more than just food?
When can food not only nourish the body but fill the soul?
When can simple ingredients blended together create such a feeling of love that it is almost overwhelming?
The answer is the same for all three questions. It's when the food is made with love by people who care about you.
In the 114 days that Chris has been gone there have been 3 wonderful families from my girls' school that have called us up and said "Hey, we have a meal for you". Those 7 little words were like winning a lottery. So what's so special about 3 meals?
Those 3 meals meant that someone else was thinking about me, caring about me, and showing me love. It meant I had one less thing that I had to worry in my days of being both mom and dad. There have been many days when dinner was the last thing on my mind, or when I just couldn't do one more thing physically or emotionally. Some people may think that I am just being a baby or something, but until you have been in the shoes of an Army wife with children then you may not understand.
Tonight I was given some yummy chicken noodle soup, veggies, fruit, biscuits and even dessert. All because a friend knew I have not been feeling well for the last few days. She saw that I had a need and did what she could to help me out. Not only did it taste wonderful, it felt so good on my fiery throat. This meal feed a lot more than my stomach.
I have been talking to a small group of other military moms and asking them how people can reach out and help them. Having someone bring them a meal or invite them to eat a meal with their family was the number one answer. The rest of their answers will be shared in a future post. There is something about food that lifts the spirit.
Thank you so much to the awesome families at Faith who have shown us so much love with your thoughtfulness and yummy food. It wasn't just food you gave us, but a big hug as well. Please know that your kindness will be paid forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment