I heard something on the radio today that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It was just a quick little story about a certain football team returning home after a big win in some big game. They landed at the airport with tons of fanfare and had a hero's welcome as they rode through their capital city.
Now I am not big into football, but I'm not a hater either. I like getting together with friends, eating yummy food, and having a good time. Whether or not I see all of the game doesn't really bother me. My opinion may be a bit different from a die-hard football fan. I am more biased these days and therefore I may be blowing this out of proportion.
I am all for people celebrating. I know I love a good party. What bugged me was the fact that a bunch of athletes got a hero's welcome home because they played a game of football. Yes, it was a BIG game, but what exactly did they do that was heroic? Did they risk or give their lives to save or better the lives of others? Did they sacrifice themselves for a greater good? Did they put aside their fears and give everything because of a duty to serve their country and preserve freedom?
A little perspective:
*Pro football players are paid millions of dollars to run, throw, kick, catch and tackle for our amusement.
*Active Duty soldiers are paid a small fraction of that to keep our country safe and free.
*Pro football players live in big beautiful houses, with all the latest technology.
*Chris and his unit are currently each living in a 6.5 x 7.5 ft. room with no windows. And have spotty, slow, and non-reliable internet service and must wait in line to use the phone.
*Pro football players have the best food available to them at any and all times.
*Soldiers in theatre get the equivalent of school cafeteria food on a good day and MRE's (Meal Ready-t0-Eat~~food rations) on a bad.
I think that sometimes the wrong people are praised (or it is, people praising the wrong thing?) As my girls grow up, I want them to know what a real hero is. Not just heros of the military, but Biblical hero's, martyrs, political, etc.
Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox and speak my mind.
Well said. It is all backwards and it makes me angry to think about.
ReplyDeleteLove you! Wish I could do more for you at this time. Whatever you do don't bottle up your feelings.Remember that God is in control and Chris chose to serve and knows what he's doing. He is a hero to his girls already.
ReplyDeleteTina W
I TOTALLY hear you, and I absolutely agree that society's view of heroes is completely backwards...
ReplyDeleteHowever, please remember that even Christ's disciples argued over who was the greatest, and they were gently reminded that it was the least, the servants of all, who were the greatest, not those who's accomplishments were recognized, rewarded, or even noticed. The truth of your post isn't a new thing, it has forever been an issue, and it isn't likely to change or it would completely alter the face of true heroism.
And even though society hasn't changed, neither has the presence of greatness! People like Chris still choose to serve, to give, to sacrifice...and because of that, they ARE heroes. They are heroic for remaining true to the calling on their lives, to the betterment of society, rather than pursuing fame or fortune. Greatness like that wouldn't exist without the humility of those who know that their service goes unnoticed every day and choose to do it anyways.
The world doesn't need more professional athletes; the world needs more people like Chris. :)