Friday, August 5, 2011

Day Two hundred and eighty

"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD." Leviticus 19:18

I have really been struggling with bitterness lately. Bitter towards people and bitter about my unmet expectation. Needless to say, being so wrapped up in anger and hurt has turned me into a bitter person.

This morning I woke up thinking not very nice thoughts. Immediately I felt drained. God was working on my heart and mind. He reminded me that I have a choice. I can choose to keep on living with the weight of bitterness or I could lay it down at His feet and take up His yoke. I prayed to God and asked Him to first forgive me for the grudges I was holding against people. Second, I told Him how hard it was for me to lay down these down and that I needed His help. Giving up the control I felt I had is not something that comes easy for me.
Third, I talked to God about my hurts and then I gave them to Him. I chose to act out in faith what I knew I needed to do.

Each time that bitter feeling tries and come back I have to choose to lay it down again. It's an ongoing process. Bitterness takes awhile to take root and it takes awhile to get it all dug up and thrown away. I'm thankful to God for loving me enough to show me my wrongs and loving me inspite of my sin.

"Though You have made me see troubles, many and bitter, You will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth You will again bring me up." Ps. 71:20

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Such heartfelt honesty does not come easily, but I am proud of you for sharing. I am glad to hear how God is working in your heart, and I will pray for you as you continue to move out of this place into the better things that He has for you.
    I have been where you are, and if I am to be honest, I am probably back on the path to returning there again. Thanks for being unashamed to share where you are really at in life - this truth convicts me and challenges me, and I am blessed to walk this road with you.
    Looking forward to digging more into Romans together, too! :)
    Love ya, girl.

    ReplyDelete