I have found that my mind likes to go off on tangents, to twist what I know into something I don't recognize, to doubt when I don't have a reason, to fret over what people think of me, to try and get me take over what only God can control and to try and control what my heart will feel.
It's not fun living with my mind. It's filled with second guessing and negativity. More than ever I need God to remind me that I am not alone. I have to choose to rely on God and remember His past faithfulness to me everyday. It's great to know that God is the same yesterday, today and forever!
This morning I was reading Faith Deployed: Daily Encouragement for Military Wives by Jocelyn Greene, and the title of the chapter was "Battle of the mind". Talk about perfect timing. I hadn't picked up the book in several days and this is what I read: "When our hearts do not feel that God is still in control, we must consciously dwell on the truth of the scriptures with our minds. Our thoughts can either drain our energy and cripple us, or be a source of strength when we meditate on God's Word."
That's what I've been missing. God's word. My own thoughts, worries and doubts have gotten in the way of remembering to dig into God's word and let it speak truth into my heart and mind. Here I've been feeling like I can't handle things anymore and I've been neglecting the very thing that I can find comfort and strength in. It just seem too simple. Read God's Word and find peace, love, acceptance, comfort, strength and freedom. It's doesn't add up to fair in my mind. But that's what God's grace is all about. "Grace is a surprising love!" ~Rick Lorimer.
"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2
A prayer form the above mentioned book I've been reading.
"Lord, help me be like David-unafraid to cry out to You exactly how I'm feeling, but also able to turn my sorrow into reliance on Your truth by focusing on who You are. Break the bonds of fear, bitterness, and anything else that keeps me from resting in You, and teach me to be captivated by You alone. In Jesus name, Amen"
No comments:
Post a Comment