Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day Fifteen

Happy Veteran's Day to all of the brave, selfless, devoted, loyal, and hard-working men and women who have fought and those who continue to keep our country free. And to the families of soldiers who miss them dearly everyday.


This nation will remain land of the free only so long as it is the land of the brave.
   ~Elmer Davis

I read this quote on my friend Jen's Facebook page. It's only 19 words but it is giving me a lot to think about.

Brave-adj.-possessing or exhibiting courage or courageous endurance
Courage-noun-the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear
Freedom-noun-the power to determine action without restraint
Free-adj.-pertaining to or reserved for those who enjoy personal liberty
Liberty-noun-freedom from external or foreign rule; independence


In my opinion, there is something special about the people who choose to serve in the military. They have something in them that I unfortunately don't possess. I have begged Chris countless times to please find a way to get out of having to be deployed. I have offered up suggestions on how to do it. (Please don't ask me to tell you. You might change your opinion of me) But he is steadfast and loyal to his commitment to follow through on the promise he made to his and our country. He understands what it takes to keep us free. He is brave and gets the job done no matter what.

I admire his loyalty-not only to the USA but to our family. He is putting his butt out on the line everyday for us-his wife and his daughters. He works hard to provide freedom for us. And he does so with pride.

I am going to let the above quote and the meanings of the those words marinate in my heart. I want them to become more real to me.



At my Grandpa Tom Preslar's funeral.



Papa served in the US Navy with honor
 and integrity.
I love you and miss you so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment