Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day Seven

Tragedy has struck in the Harmon house tonight. Peanut, G's hamster, died. The tragic part wasn't just that he died but how he died.

G & A found poor Peanut floating in our sub-pump pit.

I will never forget the look on their faces or the sounds of their screams. I can't imagine the horror of seeing Peanut in that pit. (NO I did not look nor will I)

Of course, they immediately started crying for daddy. I almost did too. Here the girls where looking to me to take care of the whole problem. I did my mommy job-I hugged, wiped away tears and prayed for them. But there is still the daddy job left-getting Peanut out of the pit. To be honest I didn't want to touch him when he was alive and I definitely don't want to touch him now that he is dead.

So I did the next best thing. I got on the phone and called another Daddy that I knew to see if he would come and help. Tomorrow Peanut will be removed from the pit. Thank you Mr. Nick!!!!

It's times like this that make me miss Chris so much. I can't do this parenting thing all by myself. Try as I do I fall short. Chris is so strong. He can fix almost anything. He is so wise and rational. He helps me see things from a different perspective--logical vs. emotional. He is caring, loving, funny, and most definitely has more patience than I do. All of this is missing from our house. 

But God has His ways of filling that void. He has blessed our family with wonderful friends and family who keep us in prayer and lend their hands to help us. Or in Mr. Nick's case step in to do a very dirty job. How can I ever repay him?! It's not like you can turn around and say "thank you for pulling out our dead, bloated hamster from his watery grave. Here are some cookies for your trouble" 

I am so thankful that even though Chris is not here God has promised that He will never leave us.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them (dead hamsters), for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deut. 31:6

No comments:

Post a Comment